Music is an integral part of most people’s lives. Musical works are listened to in all corners of our planet, even in the most remote ones. Despite the immense popularity and importance of this area of art, many people do not think about what styles and genres of music exist. This article examines the TOP-10 musical directions, which have not lost their popularity to this day.
Due to the variety of different genres, many of you are wondering: what styles of music are there? We have tried to answer your question and organize the main styles of music into a separate list, which, according to experts, will always be popular for many years.
1. Pop music
This style belongs to the modern direction of music. This genre is characterized by simplicity, an interesting instrumental part, and a sense of rhythm, while vocals are far from the main focus. The main and practically the only form of musical composition is the song. “Pops” includes the characteristic features of Europop, Latin, synthpop, dance music, etc.
Music experts highlight the following features of pop music:
- conservative song-building scheme “verses + choruses”;
- simplicity and ease of perception of melodies;
- the main instrument is the human voice, the accompaniment plays a secondary role;
- the rhythmic structure plays an important role: most of the compositions are written with dances, so they are distinguished by a clear, unchanging beat;
- the average length of songs is from 3 to 5 minutes, which fully corresponds to the format of modern radio stations;
- lyrics are usually dedicated to personal emotions and experiences (love, sadness, joy, etc.);
- the visual presentation of works is of great importance.
As the name suggests (rock – “to swing”), this genre of music is characterized by rhythmic sensations that are associated with a certain movement. Some signs of rock compositions (electric musical instruments, creative self-sufficiency, etc.) are secondary, which is why many styles of music are mistakenly referred to as rock. Various subcultures are associated with this musical direction: punks, hippies, metalheads, emo, goths, etc.
Rock is subdivided into several directions or styles, ranging from “light” pieces of dance rock and roll, pop-rock and Brit-pop, to brutal and aggressive death metal and grindcore. This genre is characterized by “musical expression”, in particular, increased dynamics (loudness) of performance (some compositions are performed at 120-155 dB).
Rock bands typically include a vocalist, guitarist (playing electric guitar), bass player, and drummer (sometimes keyboardist). The rhythm section is made up of bass, drums, and rhythm guitar (not always).
This direction of music consists of several genres: from “light” styles (pop-rap) to aggressive (hardcore, horror). Lyrics can also have different content – from light and relaxed (memories of childhood, adolescence, etc.) to complex social problems.
Hip-hop is based on styles such as funk, jazz, reggae, soul, and rhythm and blues. Quite often, hip-hop is confused with RAP, which is fundamentally wrong. RAP is a recitative performance of musical compositions, while hip-hop may not have any recitative at all.
There are the following subgenres of hip-hop:
- old school: relatively simplified recitative, lines of the same length, the constant direction of rhythm and beats;
- new school: relatively short tracks, more soulful motives (in the direction of pop music);
- gangsta rap: songs about a hard life, hooliganism, crime, etc .;
- political hip-hop: the texts call for anti-social activities, uniting society to resolve various internal and external threats;
- alternative hip-hop: this direction is based on the styles of funk, jazz, pop-rock, soul, and the compositions are a combination of music with recitative;
- jy-funk: this style combines py-funk melodies and deep funky bass (synthesizer content, subtle flute, and recitative), diluted with male or female backing vocals;
- horrorcore: this direction is distinguished by the greatest “hardness” and brutality of the tracks;
- southern hip-hop: this style has southern motives of African and Latin American countries;
- grime: characterized by a dark atmosphere of the track, rolling bass, and high-speed aggressive reading.
RAP is a rhythmic recitative that is usually read with a beat. The performers of such compositions are rappers or MCs. RAP is one of the main components of hip-hop. But this style is used in other genres as well (drum and bass, pop, rock, rapcore, new metal, etc.).